Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Bold 9700: Worth the Upgrade?


The latest Berry to hit the market actually arrived a few weeks ago, the Bold 9700. It is being dubbed as the "flagship" device for RIM, but does it actually fit the bill? Should Bold 9000 users feel the need to upgrade? Lets way in on this one.

I'm am a proud and faithful Bold 9000 user, so of course I was ecstatic when the 9700 came to market....that is of course until I actually handled the device for myself.

What attracted people to the Bold 9000 was its...well...boldness. The size, weight, the feel of the 9000 in your hand and you know you are holding the most powerful BlackBerry on the market. When I held the 9700, I felt like I was in possession of a Curve. The 9700 is much smaller and lighter, the keyboard feels much narrower and I just was not into it. Yes, the trackpad is nice instead of the traditional trackball, but still not enough to warrant a switch of devices.

So Bold 9000 users, should you upgrade? My answer would be no. This device and the one you have now are basically the same minus the trackpad and BB software 5.0. But considering the 5.0 upgrade for the Bold 9000 will be hitting the At&T website in the coming weeks, I think you'll be fine. My upgrade is coming up in a few short months and unless a real successor to the 9000 hits the market (9050 with a trackpad perhaps?) I will be upgrading to yet another 9000, in white of course.

As for any other BB users, say Curve guys, you might as well go with the 9700. It will feel like a true upgrade for you, similar in size to your Curve yet it boasts 3G speeds and a nicer keyboard.

Are you a Bold 9700 fan? Do you want to defend your decision? Post your thoughts in a reply and let me know.

photo credit: liewcf

No comments:

Post a Comment